Sunday, April 27, 2008

Give peace a chance


So this whole story started on The Island, our second trip to be exact. It was my first attempt at knitting a sweater. I began my first top down pull over on the Island, I knit and I knit and I knit. I got the sweater body finished and took it off the needles for a look. To my shock, the sweater was big enough to fit a size 2XL man. I was disappointed, but not defeated. I ripped the sweater and balled up the yarn and took it to Family Camp for some serious knitting sessions. I knit and I knit and I knit. I got the body of the sweater done and took it off the needles only to find that it was big enough to fit an XL man. At this point AJ, NK and the husband ran for cover as I threw the yarn, needles and sweater to the ground. To save his life, the husband quietly wound the yarn in to big balls and tied it in a bag, where it has stayed for nearly 2 years.

I took yarn inventory a week or so ago and discovered that I don't have as much yarn as a good knitter should. While taking inventory I discovered the dreaded blue sweater yarn bag. At this point I made my peace with the yarn. Since this disaster I have knit 4 top down sweaters, a top down vest and 2 top down baby sweaters. I have conquered the project, now it was time to use up the yarn. Knowing what I now know about yarn, the project was doomed from the start. The yarn was not the right weight (even though I was knitting 2 strands together) but enough about that.

I pulled out yarn and found a pattern for a baby afghan. I knit the World Ministries wavy baby afghan. It turned out really cute. I have lots of co-workers who are having babies, so an afghan is always good to give as a gift. Provided the baby is a boy! The problem is look at how much yarn I still have after the afghan. This is a lot of blue yarn. I think I will make a top down baby sweater out of part of it and MMT suggested I learn to make booties to go with the blankets. If not booties I think the yarn is fine enough that I could make socks for an adult.

I am counting down the days until:1) yarn shopping on the 10th of May 2) graduation (if they have one more senior skip day I am going to pop a vein. 3) the end of school and 4) THE ISLAND!!!


Health update: I did have to get an antibiotic for the brochitis, and I think I will be healthy soon.

.

2 comments:

NK said...

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. I now have a cold. hopefully will be better soon.
LOVE the blanket. at least you have made peace with the yarn now. Can't wait until the trip to the cities.

CB said...

Ahhh peace at last!